How did you get started in business? If you’re like me, you didn’t intend on starting a business at all.
On the other hand…
Some of us start off wanting to create a business. Easy!
Other people have a hobby or something they like to do that turns into a business on accident. Whoops!
Or maybe you started getting freelance gigs and it’s turned into it’s own monster.
However you got started, chances are that you currently find yourself in a very different place than you intended (life’s funny like that, eh?)
When was the last time that you took a step back to look at your INTENTION for your business?
Now’s the time! In today’s video I’m going to teach you how to reprogram your mindset to be a BUSINESS OWNER
Didn’t have time to watch the video? Here’s a summary of the hobbyist, freelancer, and business owner. Which one are you?
ARE YOU A HOBBYIST?
There is NOTHING wrong with having a hobby-based business if that’s what you want to do.
You’re a hobbyist if…
- You started your business as a passion project / for fun / as a creative outlet
- You aren’t focused on making money
- You may or may not have products or services for sale
- You’re not sure how much money your business is making
- You see your business income as a “plus” to your household income
As you can see, in order to go from “hobbyist” to “business owner” you have to shift to start seeing your hobby as a money making endeavor.
ARE YOU A FREELANCER?
Many entrepreneurs start off as freelancers — it’s one of the best ways to start a side hustle or transition from a 9-5 corporate job to running your own business.
You’re a freelancer if…
- You are working on a project basis
- The projects you do are varied and customized to the client
- You currently write proposals to win projects
- Sometimes you have to take projects you’d rather not take in order to make money
If you want to transition from freelancer to business owner the trick is to pick a niche and create a signature service. This way you can get known for one thing and have clients coming to YOU (rather than you hunting them down).
ARE YOU A BUSINESS OWNER?
You’re a business owner if…
- You offer clearly defined products and/or services
- You’ve niched down your business to get known for one thing
- You’re able to create systems to make your work more streamlined